PagesPat's Ponderings

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I LoveSpooky Challenges

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, at least when it comes to crafting. Not only do I have massive amounts of Halloween-themed images and stamps (and embellishments and papers), but I like to use every day images and turn them to the dark side (Luke, I am your father...).
Anyway, I wanted to show you a cards and a sweet project for some of this week's blog challenges. 
I love Edgar Allan Poe and his writing, so here's a card I made using a digi image of which I've only left the "bare bones" from which my scary verses peek through.
I decided to print out Edgar's deliciously twisted poem, The Raven, as my starting point, highlighting some words and phrases to spotlight the mood of my card.

  Then, to show off that background, I fussy-cut the image so that all you get is his outline, and you can see the poetry through his body (yes, i know I could have printed him onto the words, but I didn't think of doing that until both were already printed out and I'm not one to waste paper and printer ink).  I filled in the white around the image edges with Spectrum Noir marker in grey.
Not your average color-in-the-lines-of-a-digi-image card, but I like the look of it, and I hope you do too!

Next, I mixed up non-traditional colors on an Ike's Art digi image called an Ike's Art digi image called Vaguely Goth.Whoever thought to use punky pink with gothic black to say Happy Halloween, right? But as you can see, it works (at least for me). This card is going into the SBP Halloween Challenge blog post. Ike's Art is the guest sponsor, and she has generously offered five digital images to a random participant!

Finally, I created a Candy favor for the upcoming holiday candy free-for-all at my house. I colored a Bugaboo digi image called Halloween Skelekins - Sitter with my Copics, cut her out after giving her a little magical shimmer and framed her with black card stock. I popped her onto Halloween patterned paper, added a few freaky embellies and then filled a long tall bag with candy and put her on top to guard it.
I'm entering her into this week's Bugaboo Anything Goes challenge cause she's so adorable.

I hope you get some time to craft, and whatever you craft, have some (spooky) fun!!



4 comments:

nwilliams6 said...

Pat, these are some great Halloween cards and treats! Love them all but I like the Raven card the best as I love that poem! Have you ever entered the Quoth the Raven Challenge? They are doing tags this week, but this image would work perfectly in their challenges - here is he link if you don't have it:

http://poequoththeraven.blogspot.com/

Great card! Hugz!

ike said...

What fabulous Halloween creations. I really LUV the Goth girl with pink hair - how amazing that looks and wonderful papers on the card. Thank you for using one of my images :-D
Hugz
IKE xx

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog

sgc said...

Boy--are you getting ready for Halloween! Cards cute, but I really love the skelekinz treat bag. Thanks for playing in Bugaboo's challenge.

Jen Leeflang said...

Great idea to print on text! Thanks for joining in the fun at our Anything Goes Challenge at Bugaboo Stamps this week – I hope you are drawn as one of the winners. Please enter again this week when we have a brand new challenge and wonderful prizes to be won.
luv’n huggz
Jen L
Bugaboo DT