PagesPat's Ponderings

Thursday, September 5, 2013

To Thine Own Self Be True

Today I want to share myself with you through a mixed media card I created.  After all, any artist will tell you that when you look at their work, you are seeing the artist.  When I look at what I've created, I feel like I'm looking in a mirror!
There's a wonderful and empowering blog in town called the Path of Positivity Blog.  I go there to get inspired, to lift my spirits when I feel down and to relax when I'm stressed.
How do they affect me this way?  By crafters and artists sharing their stories and projects and words! This month's theme is about Honesty.
To me, honesty is letting you see the parts of me that aren’t pretty.  Because, let’s face it, no one is perfect.  I snore at night.  I am overweight.  I am loud.  I have skeletons in my closet (and they’re not Halloween decorations).
When I create something—a card, a poem, a canvas—I am being honest.  I don’t know of a way to create without being honest, with both myself and with others.  My personality, my beliefs, my fears,my history, my strengths and weaknesses—it’s all there in living color for everyone to see. 
But mostly for ME to see, because even if I decided to discard something I made, it is still burned in my mind.  It can never be erased (just like putting something on the internet). 
So why throw it away, when it speaks honestly of ME – unique, imperfect, honest ME.
Whether you need a mood shift, inspiration or a new challenge for your art, check out the Path of Positivity Blog.


9 comments:

Holly Young said...

what a wonderfully honest post Pat! I know we all have things we don't like about ourselves, but sometimes it's what we see as faults that others love about us, and I know even with your snoring, weight issues, and closeted skeletons you are one lovable lady! Your card is really great - I LOVE the quote! Gorgeous, bright colors!

Desire Fourie said...

Such a fun and bright creation. This is so perfect for our HONESTY theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Optimistic Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Sandy S said...

Fabulous! Love the colors.... and love your post. You said so perfectly...

Sandy S
~Design Team Path of Positivity~

oh... and please email me at sandysom (at) shaw (dot) ca I have a question for you... *smile*

Linda W. said...

Pat - I love you!!! For all the wonderful things you've done for me, for all the tough times I've gone thru and you pulled me up, for the Thanksgiving Day you surprised me with a wonderful "Hello dear friend", all the way thru the years we've known each other. No one is more true than you! Beautiful project!!!

Donna Ellis said...

Beautiful card, Pat, with such vibrant colors and lots of sparkle! I could not help but smile as you shared your thoughts about honesty. I've only allowed myself to truly be myself in the last 15 years. Better late than never. :-) thank you for sharing from your heart. hugs, de

nancyparker55 said...

What a fun card and oh so true!

Crafting Vicky said...

wow that is sooo true. And what beautiful artwork you do create! I really love what you said because you are so right... we all have things we are not too please about. But we need to be honest with ourselves ;o)

Thanks for joining our monthly challenge here at Path of Positivity challenge. Hope you will join us next time. DT Crafting Vicky I have some candy on my blog ;o) http://crafting-vicky.blogspot.ca/2013/09/400-followers-giveaway.html

Path of Positivity said...

What a really cool creation Pat. I especially love the colour palette you have gone with. You have also chosen a really cool quote.

More importantly, I love what you had to say. I admire that you allow your true self to shine through in all that you create. I completely agree that artists lay bare their souls for the world to see and you always do it so well. Unfortunately, some people are afraid to expose their true selves for fear of rejection. It is so nice how strong you truly are by laying it all out there for not only everyone else but you, yourself, too.

Thank you so much for joining us again this month on the Path of Positivity. You are a true reflection of exactly the participant I aspired for when I created this challenge.

May you always have the strength to keep being honest with yourself and everyone around you.

Lisa D., Owner

ike said...

What a lovely Post - you really got me thinking and nodding along with you.
I love your creation. Thank you for playing at PoP in our Honesty Challenge.

IKE xx
PoP DT