PagesPat's Ponderings

Monday, July 2, 2012

Hambo's New Challenge is Cool Beans!

What's better than a handmade card?  A handmade card with a surprise!!

Today I made a Ribbon Pull Card.  I used the Hambo Stamps digi image called Kangaroo, colored it with my Copics and framed the image on cardstock.

I used my ScorPal to fold the card into a box and embellished the front with a border diecut and some small white roses.  I used CTMH Liquid Glass to put a little shine on the balloon.

I left my card base long enough to actually have a front that opens to an inner page.  That's where I placed one of the four sentiments that come with this digi purchase.

So, how did I get the gum in the box card and when the ribbon is pulled, it comes up through the top?

I punched holes in the front and back of the box.  I placed my ribbon around a package of gum, down the front and up the back, and then stuck the package into my box with the ribbon ends sticking out the top.

All I had to do then was pull each end of the ribbon through each hole, tying a bow to keep the gum in place.  So, when you pull up on the bow, the package of gum comes up with it!!

I was sorting through my birthday cards, trying to find a special one for my daughter, who turns 17 on the fourth of July.  She is my baby, my gift from God.  I lost my dad in 94 to lung cancer.  I hadn't taken birth control since my son was born nine years previously.  So, I lost him, and I got pregnant -- unexpectantly, joyously pregnant.  She was born in the Zodiac sign of Cancer.  That's why I know God gave her to me to replace my dad.

Back to my card.  My daughter loves this gum, so this card is the one for her.  We're celebrating her day the usual way, with fireworks and parades and a BBQ!!  That's what happens when you're born on your country's day of independence.

Go play at the Hambo Hoedown this week.  The challenge is to use a Hambo digi and a card with a pocket in it.  Happy holiday, crafters!

4 comments:

Kris Chirhart said...

What a touching story about your daughter! Happy Birthday to her!! Love how you did your pocket with the gum! How fun. Thanks for playing in the Hoedown with us this week!

Holly Young said...

oh Pat this is just so cute and what a fun surprise inside! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Pat said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes-I'll relay them to her!

Monica Hunter said...

What a fun gift for your daughter! (Happy belated birthday to her!) A high-school boyfriend of mine had a July 4th birthday. He said it took years before he understood that the fireworks weren't really JUST for his birthday! LOL Great take on this week's challenge Pat!